Monday, February 28, 2011

Hard Hearted Mercy - Part 2

Jesus replied, "Moses permitted divorce only as a concession to your hard hearts, but it was not what God had originally intended.

After letting this idea roll around in my soul for a while:

There is the real possibility that my heart can become so hard toward God that He has to step back from his original intention, acknowledge the hardness of my heart, and lay out my life’s path to accommodate my heart’s refusal to submit to Him. (see post “Hard Hearted Mercy”)

I’m overwhelmed by God’s mercy. God knows well my heart’s hard spots, and yet makes His love available to me unconditionally. I’m well loved, hard spots and all. What grace, to love me so. What mercy. His desire to be connected catalyzes His choice to make connection possible no matter what path I choose to take.

It’s like coming to the realization that everything your heart has every cried out for was always yours, you just didn’t see it. I tend to see the negative side of things. We’re so sin twisted that God has to make concessions for our hard hearts. I’m grateful for the reminder that God’s concession is a personal experience in mercy. His concession is His deep heart’s cry to be connected to us. Mercy always leaves an open door. Grace invites us to come. Love gives us the strength to walk through it. Connection and intimacy wait on the other side of the door. He chose to make it possible. I choose to walk through.

No comments:

Post a Comment