Friday, February 17, 2012

Perspective Is Everything


Perspective is everything. How different would my life be if I could see its trajectory from the outside?

I’m humbled by Jesus’ response to those who didn’t have His perspective. He was the Messiah, the one He claimed to be, the one they were waiting for. So why didn’t they see it? Why was it hidden from them? Jesus said they had ears but couldn’t hear, eyes but couldn’t see. The more I read how the religious leaders responded to Jesus’ authority the more convinced I become that there was no way He could have measured up to their Messianic expectations. Their perspective had become so ingrown and fractured that no one would ever meet the qualifications. Their system of religion was set up to disqualify the truth.

As Pilate said, “What is truth?” Indeed, what is truth? Their perspective had been so warped and clouded that when truth stood right in front of them, they couldn’t accept it. They were so blind that it didn’t even register as a blip on their soul’s radar.

Perspective.

So as Jesus hung on the cross, they mocked:

The crowd watched and the leaders scoffed. “He saved others,” they said, “let him save himself if he is really God’s Messiah, the Chosen One.” The soldiers mocked him, too, by offering him a drink of sour wine. They called out to him, “If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!” Luke 23:34-37 (NLT)

You are who you say you are? Prove it. Prove it to me, in the way that I demand you prove it. Fit your truth into my way of believing, my way of thinking, my way of living. Convince my inconvincible soul that you came to save it.

Perspective.

If Jesus had capitulated to their mocking demands would they have been convinced?

Perspective

The more life I live the more I see that we reject truth that causes change in our lives until we have no other choice. Until I experience that I am lost, I cannot be found.

Perspective.

Jesus was, in fact, saving Himself. By being obedient to the Father’s will, He was saving everything. Jesus knew His Father. He knew salvation was at hand. For You will not leave my soul among the dead or allow Your holy one to rot in the grave. Psa 16:10 The outcome was never in doubt.

Perspective.

Salvation at the point of completion, being mocked, “Save yourself”, the irony is tangible.

Heavier still is the realization that there are parts of my unrepentant heart that mock its Creator. You saved others, why can’t you save me? Do what my perspective demands that You need to do. Fit Your truth into my way of living, my way of understanding.

Perspective.

Without the Holy Spirit’s intervention, I cannot see the truth.

Perspective.

Jesus, let me see from Yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment