Sunday, October 3, 2010

Faith or Presumption?

When Jesus heard this, He said, "Healthy people don't need a doctor—sick people do." Then He added, "Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture: 'I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.' For I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners."

What is the difference between faith and presumption?

Then one of the teachers of religious law said to Him, "Teacher, I will follow You wherever You go." But Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay His head."

Do I come to Jesus holding on to the conviction that it’s the “right thing to do”, hoping He will respond and meet my need because I’m doing the right thing? Do I come to Jesus in self deprecation, hoping that if He sees that I know how bad I am and I know I deserve to be punished, He’ll respond and show me love? Do I come to Jesus holding in my hands the hope that He will find something in me that is right, validating who I am?

I’ve come to Jesus in these ways. I find that all are presumptuous.

When I come to Jesus because it’s the right thing to do, my actions attempt to limit Jesus to engaging with me only when I’m doing the right thing and obligating Him to action if I am.

When I come to Jesus in self deprecation, I am left empty, having taken responsibility for meting out the punishment of my own sin.

When I come to Jesus expecting Him to validate the righteousness in me, all I find is the finger of conviction on all that is unrighteous in my life.

…two blind men followed along behind Him, shouting, "Son of David, have mercy on us!" They went right into the house where He was staying, and Jesus asked them, "Do you believe I can make you see?" "Yes, Lord," they told Him, "we do." Then He touched their eyes and said, "Because of your faith, it will happen." Then their eyes were opened, and they could see!

I desire to come to Jesus with a heart that knows He is free to choose how to respond. He is free to embrace me; He is free to reject me. My hope is that He will respond, anything beyond that crosses the line from faith to presumption. I am learning that humility is the difference between faith and presumption.

'I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.' For I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners."

Jesus, Son of David, Have mercy on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment