Friday, February 6, 2009

Motivation

One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples spoke to him. “Lord,” he said, “teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”

Jesus said to them, “When you pray, this is what you should say:
“’Father, may your name be honored.
May your kingdom come.
Give us each day our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins, As we also forgive everyone who sins against us.
Keep us from falling into sin when we are tempted.’”


Father, may your name be honored. validation - what makes life worth living.

May your kingdom come. motivation – what drives us to keep going.

Give us each day our daily bread. provision – what gives us the stamina to complete the task.

Forgive us our sins, As we also forgive everyone who sins against us. healing – what removes the obstacles that keep us from moving forward.

Keep us from falling into sin when we are tempted. growth – what increases our ability to honor the Father.


So what get’s you out of bed in the morning? Why do you go to work everyday? Why do you engage in family life? Why do pursue the things you pursue? Why? I love asking the question why. If you ask it long enough, you’ll always find yourself confronted with Jesus. May your kingdom come. Jesus want’s us to understand that one of the primary motivations for a full life is engaging in the Kingdom. Did you wake up this morning and ask, “Jesus how can I help Your Kingdom come today?” If you’re like me you probably didn’t. But it should be one of our primary motives. I should understand as I walk with Jesus how my life helps advance the Kingdom. I should understand the more I get to know the Father, how my job helps advance the Kingdom. I should begin to understand how my marriage, how my parenting, how my dating life, how my friendships, all advance the Kingdom.

I find that I don’t very often think this way. I understand that my “church” relationships advance the kingdom, that’s the churches job right? But my marriage? How I parent? What I do in my leisure time? All of these things have Kingdom significance? They do if we understand that it’s Jesus desire that the Kingdom come. So let me challenge me, (and you) to begin to ask this question; Jesus, how do I advance Your Kingdom today? Listen for the answer, then do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment