Friday, February 6, 2009

Provision

Luke 11:1-6

One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples spoke to him. “Lord,” he said, “teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”

Jesus said to them, “When you pray, this is what you should say:
“’Father, may your name be honored.
May your kingdom come.
Give us each day our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins, As we also forgive everyone who sins against us.
Keep us from falling into sin when we are tempted.’”

I find in this text a blue print for life. Each statement addresses a part of our lives that must be considered if we are to be “fully alive”. I find it very encouraging that Jesus would so succinctly package life’s meaning into the “teaching us how to pray” prayer. It tells me that prayer is vital. I must pray to be fully alive. If I neglect prayer, my life suffers accordingly. If I don’t talk to Jesus, I end up trying to do it on my own and I slowly lose the ability to fully engage in life.

Here is what I see in this passage as Jesus deals with the completeness of life.

Father, may your name be honored. validation - what makes life worth living.

May your kingdom come. motivation – what drives us to keep going.

Give us each day our daily bread. provision – what gives us the stamina to complete the task.

Forgive us our sins, As we also forgive everyone who sins against us. healing – what removes the obstacles that keep us from moving forward.

Keep us from falling into sin when we are tempted. growth – what increases our ability to honor the Father.


We’ve looked at validation and motivation, how about provision.

Give us each day our daily bread.

Question time, how long would you have to go without a paycheck before you panicked? Do we really believe that Jesus will supply our every need? Really believe that? If you missed a paycheck, would Jesus supply your need? If you missed 2 paychecks? 3? Jesus taught us to pray, give us each day our daily bread. I’m struck by the fact that it’s not, supply our needs for the week. Or, show us how our budget is going to work out for the year. Walking with Jesus is a moment by moment proposition. Each day has its own challenges, financially, emotionally, spiritually, physically. Each day Jesus promises to supply what we need for that day. The moment I expect more then what is for today is the moment I’ve stepped outside of what God has asked. Wow. Let that sink in for minute. The moment I expect more then what is for today is the moment I’ve stepped outside of what God has asked.

Nothing is guaranteed. No job. No program. No bank. No government. No harvest. The only thing one who can back up His promises is Jesus. He is the only guarantee in this life and his guarantee is for what we need today. His provision is good to meet the challenges for today. Food, clothing, strength, character, stamina, wisdom, He has promised to give us what we need to face today. As I understand what makes life worth living and engage in the mission of Kingdom Near. Jesus provides what I need today to accomplish what He’s asked me to do today. Nothing more, nothing less. Daily bread.

In this time we’re walking through, I’m learning to get up in the morning and ask, “Am I taken care of today? Is my family taken care of today? Are those with whom I’ve engaged in life with taken care of today?” I then look for that provision, my Father’s emotional, physical, spiritual, financial daily bread prepared specifically for me. Am I taken care of today? And I have to answer every day so far, “yes.”

Give us each day our daily bread

No comments:

Post a Comment