Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"Right Ache"

Jesus told his disciples a story. He wanted to show them that they should always pray and not give up. He said, "In a certain town there was a judge. He didn't have any respect for God or care about people. A widow lived in that town. She came to the judge again and again. She kept begging him, "Make things right for me. Someone is doing me wrong.'

"For some time the judge refused. But finally he said to himself, 'I don't have any respect for God. I don't care about people. But this widow keeps bothering me. So I will see that things are made right for her. If I don't, she will wear me out by coming again and again!'"

The Lord said, "Listen to what the unfair judge says.

"God's chosen people cry out to him day and night. Won't he make things right for them? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, God will see that things are made right for them. He will make sure it happens quickly.

"But when the son of Man comes, will he find people on earth who have faith?"

I have come to the conclusion that I just want things to be right. Things get so convoluted. If you take any conflict and when you look at it long enough, there is enough "wrong" to go around. Anybody who feels they are totally blameless just hasn't lived enough life to know that we're all stained. Each one of us lives the consequences of a life that doesn't measure up to "right".

I look at all of the conflict in the world. Globally. I look at what's happening in this nation, even in this time of hope, things are not right. I look locally, things are not right. I look at my own life. Things are not right. My heart aches for right.

I find it interesting that Jesus' comments come after talking about when the "last days" will come. In this context I believe He's opening up a part of who we are, that part that longs for what we lost in the garden. That part that demands justice but knows that true justice will only happen when Jesus is the one meting it out. It's the part of us that we know is incomplete, broken even, and we just ache for it to be 'right'.

Jesus said, "Listen to what the unfair judge says." So if this unfair judge will make things right, how much more will our heavenly Father make things right for those who are crying out to Him day and night?

So what have we been crying out to the Father for? Have we given up? Does He hear? Does He know my heart aches?

Jesus, make it right. Come make this world, our lives, come make me right.

No comments:

Post a Comment